Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New England bridge books!

Portal to Eunice Williams Bridge

An expanded version of the ghost story associated with the Eunice Williams Bridge can be found in the book "Haunted New England". I saw it while I was down at Barnes & Nobles today. I don't know if there were any other haunted bridges in the book, but if you're really into New England's creepier side... well, this is the book for you.

What other New England bridge books were there? I didn't find any. Luckily, Amazon has some -- including some of the most authoritative books on local bridges I've seen.

"Connecticut's Covered Bridges" is probably going to be a pretty short book, given we only have three active road covered bridges left (the book lists four; they must count that one in Avon). Dale Travis lists dozens of covered bridges in Connecticut, but most of them are pedestrian only.

Bruce Clouette is the expert on Connecticut's historic bridges; the web site version of his book "Connecticut's Historic Highway Bridges" was invaluable to me starting out. He has a new(er) book about Connecticut's Movable Bridges which I can only think would be a subset of the other book.

Now, New England's Covered Bridges by Benjamin and June Evans... that might be worth checking out. I know when I take my vacation in Vermont, I'm going to need to know where these bridges are.

No comments:

Post a Comment